NiKA, developed by MetOcean Telematics, revolutionizes underwater acoustic data collection and transmission. Its advanced hydrophone assembly allows it to gather precise acoustic data at depths of up to 1000 meters. It provides real-time acoustic detection and satellite localization of submarines, making it indispensable for naval operations.
NiKA silently listens to the ocean to detect subsurface assets, protecting assets and harbours. It captures acoustics data at various depths, storing data which stands out versus ambient noise. At the surface, collected acoustic and positional data is transmitted by NiKa over the Iridium Certus® service, providing pole-to-pole satellite coverage.
NiKA is a state-of-the-art autonomous maritime surveillance platform that combines advanced technology with exceptional performance. Equipped with a custom hydrophone assembly, NiKA efficiently gathers precise acoustic data by cycling through the water column before surfacing to relay the collected data. This critical information, along with the platform’s real-time position, is then transmitted using the highly reliable Iridium Certus® 100 mid-band satellite service.
The device is capable of operating at depths of up to 1000 meters, making it a versatile and flexible complement to traditional sonobuoys, fixed and towed arrays. NIKA’s exceptional operating life of over a year makes it the ideal solution for long-term monitoring, anti-submarine warfare surveillance, and underwater ocean profiling. It provides critical command and control capabilities for naval operations, delivering real-time acoustic detection and satellite localization of submarines.
Whether for military or commercial purposes, NIKA offers a cost-effective and indispensable tool for safeguarding against underwater threats.
MetOcean is thrilled to announce its victory as one of the winners in the prestigious 2023 NATO Innovation Challenge. The recognition comes for their ground-breaking NiKA platform, a cutting-edge autonomous maritime surveillance system designed to revolutionize underwater acoustic data collection and transmission.
- Autonomous Anti Submarine Warfare Surveillance
- Acoustic Detection & Satellite Localisation of Submarines
- Mission Critical, Command & Control Subsurface Profiling
- Maximum depth: 1000 m (3,281’)
- Deployment: Handles for slip-rope deployment
- Highly configurable operational life, based on selected acoustic windows and required depths
- Activation Method: Removable magnet
- Battery: 60 x Saft LSH20 lithium battery
- Automatic scuttling at end of useful life
- 3 year shelf life
- Encryption: Secret – AES-256
- Hull material: Hard anodized aluminum
- Height: 1475 mm (58.1”) with antenna, 890 mm (35.0”) without antenna
- Mass: 34 kg (75 lb)
- Hydraulic buoyancy control
- Fully sanitized design, no visible branding
- Iridium Certus® 100 satellite connectivity – up to 88 Kbps
- First Defence product using Iridium® 9770 midband transceiver
- Hydrophone: Custom hydrophone element developed in Nova Scotia | Sampling rate: 5 KHz | Frequency band: 10 Hz – 1 KHz | Detection radius: 9.26 km (5 NM)
- Temperature Sensor: +/- 0.002 °C (0.0036 °F) over -5 °C (23 °F) to 35 °C (95 °F) | Resolution 0.00005 °C (0.00009 °F)
- Pressure Sensor: Ultra low power depth sensor – Canadian made | 2000 m (6,561.7’) depth rating | +/- 1 m (3.3’) accuracy | Resolution 20 mm (0.79”)