Senior Embedded Software Engineer | Dartmouth
Location: Dartmouth, NS (Burnside)
Type of employment: Permanent, Full-time
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider, designer, and manufacturer of satellite IoT-enabled solutions. Our products span oceanographic & environmental monitoring equipment, naval targeting, and covert surveillance markets.
For more than four decades we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received, and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere in the world.
About the Role:
Embedded software is at the core of all MetOcean products; products that work at the edge of our mobile and satellite IoT systems. This senior role requires an individual eager to develop high-quality embedded solutions, take ownership of delivery, and collaborate across a diverse engineering department to develop market-ready products. Candidates should have a proven record of developing microcontroller firmware used in commercial applications. Reporting to the Embedded Software Manager within the engineering department, the Senior Embedded Software Engineer will be responsible for the delivery of commercial-ready embedded software products. This includes the design, implementation, integration, and sustainment of product-specific firmware. As an experienced developer, you will help mentor the junior staff and work within the team to continually improve our processes and practices.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Own the development of embedded software/firmware for new hardware devices to schedule, scope and cost
- Lead the troubleshooting and upgrading of firmware for existing devices
- Steer new development and lead upgrades of legacy products toward a common architecture
- Provide guidance/mentorship to junior team members
- Review code and design
- Perform time estimates for task completion and assist in developing and scheduling tasks required for feature development
- Collaborate with the hardware design team and software application team
- Write documentation and firmware specifications
- Provide post-production support
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- 10+ years of experience developing embedded software/firmware
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong coding experience using the C programming language
- Experience programming embedded systems utilizing RTOS‘s and bare metal
- Experience using version control (git/SVN)
- Experience with standard lab test equipment (oscilloscope, multimeter, bench supply, etc)
- Working knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components
- Experience programming in assembly language is seen as an asset
- Experience with Atmel/Microchip processors is considered an asset
- Experience using JIRA is considered an asset
- Experience using Jenkins is considered an asset
- Java, python, and bash script programming experience are considered assets
- Knowledge of satellite and terrestrial communications is considered an asset
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are essential for this role
- Experience working with contractors and consultants
- RRSP/Pension plan contribution matching
- 100% employer-paid group benefits
- Corporate Gym Membership Rates
- Generous vacation and personal days + an extra week off over Christmas
- Training and development opportunities
- Company social events led by an employee-driven Fun Committee
- Health and Wellness lunch and learns
- Competitive compensation package
Working at Metocean Telematics:
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable being themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, and all cultures are respected. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or anything else that makes us different.
MetOcean Telematics is an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Are you interested?
If this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore, we look forward to hearing from you! To find out more about MetOcean and apply, click here.