Senior Embedded Software Engineer | Dartmouth, NS
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Type of employment: Full-time
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider, designer, and manufacturer of satellite IoT-enabled solutions. Our products span oceanographic & environmental monitoring equipment, naval targeting, and covert surveillance markets.
Our mission is to connect the world without limits. We ensure critical data is transmitted, received, and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere in the world. We value collaboration, innovation, achievement, and connection.
For more than four decades we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received, and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible worldwide.
Our head office is in Nova Scotia, Canada, with offices in the United Kingdom, and the United States.
We are a growing organization looking for talented individuals to join our growing team. Check us out https://www.metocean.com/
About the Role:
We are seeking a Senior Embedded Software Engineer.
Reporting to the Embedded Software Manager, you will be responsible for the complete embedded software development lifecycle, designing, and implementing embedded software and systems from the initial requirements through production and commercial deployment as well as ongoing sustainment. You will lead firmware projects in all phases of development, compliance testing, manufacturing testing, product ramp up and related sustaining activities. You will be involved in mentoring and guiding more junior staff in their roles as embedded software engineers and will work closely with other senior team members in ensuring best practices are followed and that common architecture components and styles are adhered to.
MetOcean products are centered around embedded devices which are integrated into systems and MetOcean’s own tracking platform. This role requires an individual who is eager to develop embedded software as a member of a team, working with other embedded software developers as well as electronics and software team members to develop embedded device solutions. A solid background in developing embedded software/firmware and device integration with software platforms using proprietary message formats is a must-have.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of embedded code in C
- Leading development of embedded software/firmware for new hardware devices
- Troubleshooting and upgrading firmware for existing devices
- Helping to steer new development and upgrades of legacy products toward a common architecture
- Providing guidance/mentorship to junior team members
- Reviewing code and design
- Performing time estimates for task completion and assisting in developing and scheduling tasks required for feature development
- Writing documentation and firmware specifications
- Providing postproduction support
- Interacting with cross-functional engineering teams across MetOcean for cohesive product development
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
Required Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience developing embedded software/firmware
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong coding experience using the C programming language
- Experience programming embedded systems running on bare metal
- Experience programming embedded systems running real-time operating systems (RTOS)
- Experience using version control (git/SVN)
- Experience with standard lab test equipment (oscilloscope, multimeter, bench supply, etc)
- Working knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components
- Experience programming in assembly language
- Experience with Atmel/Microchip processors
- Experience using JIRA
- Experience using Jenkins
- Java, python, and bash script programming experience
- Knowledge of satellite and terrestrial communications
Working at Metocean Telematics:
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable being themselves. We want our people to think that all voices are heard, and all cultures are respected. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or anything else that makes us different.
MetOcean Telematics is an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Are you interested?
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to: HR@metocean.com
No phone calls, no unsolicited third-party recruiters, or agencies, please.